How CBD Oil Works for Anxiety?
Anxiety disorders are one of the most common mental illnesses across the world. While there are several different forms of treatments available, some people prefer using natural products like CBD oil for anxiety. Anxiety is a form of emotion that is characterized by the unpleasant state of mind, usually accompanied by negative behavior like somatic complaints, pacing back & forth, and rumination. Some of the common anxiety disorders include obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, specific phobias, social anxiety disorder, and so more.
The human body features different receptors that are protein-based chemical structures linked to the cells. They are responsible for receiving signals from different stimuli. CBD interacts with the CB1 and CB2 receptors found in the peripheral and central nervous systems. It is believed that CBD alters the serotonin signals derived from these receptors.
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that plays a crucial role in regulating overall mental health. Reduced levels of serotonin are associated with cases of depression in individuals. It is also believed that not producing enough serotonin can lead to anxiety.
A number of people with anxiety are capable of managing their condition with the help of CBD oil rather than SSRI, which is a type of conventional treatment for anxiety known as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI).
Research on CBD Oil for Anxiety
- Generalized Anxiety
Generalized Anxiety For Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), studies conducted by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) have shown that CBD can help reduce stress. Study subjects who consumed CBD oil exhibited reduced behavioral signs related to anxiety.
- Other Forms of Anxiety
CBD has also been found to be effective in treating other types of anxiety, such as Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD), Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and anxiety-related insomnia.
In a recent study, researchers examined the effects of CBD on individuals with SAD. Participants received an oral dosage of approximately 400mg of CBD. The group that received CBD experienced a significant reduction in anxiety and stress levels.
Effectiveness of CBD Oil for Anxiety
There are several studies that unfold the overall effectiveness of CBD oil for dealing with anxiety. Some pointers to consider are:
- A study in 2011 revealed that CBD helps in minimizing discomfort and anxiety levels during public speaking.
- Another 2015 review of around 49 studies revealed ample evidence offering the suggestion that CBD helps with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), PTSD, and even SAD.
- A leading 2019 study made use of CBD in the form of treatment for individuals who struggled with sleep and higher anxiety levels. According to the study report, around 80 percent of individuals experienced an improvement in the overall sleep during the first month itself.
Types of Anxiety CBD Oil May Help With
CBD Oil can help with different types of anxiety disorders, including:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD): Refers to chronic anxiety with exaggerated worry and continuous tension about day-to-day activities. It features persistent thinking and worrying.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD): Depicts repetitive behaviors, compulsions, and unwanted obsessions or thoughts.
- Panic Disorder: Refers to unexpected or repeated episodes of extreme fear followed by core physical symptoms like dizziness, chest pain, loss of breath, and abdominal issues.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): A type of anxiety disorder developed after being exposed to some traumatizing event.
- Social Phobia or Stress Anxiety Disorder: It refers to excessive self-consciousness in day-to-day social situations.
CBD Oil Dosage and Administration
If you are interested to use CBD for anxiety, it is important to consult with your doctor. An experienced healthcare professional can help you come across the right dosage information. The overall dosage will depend on a few factors, such as:
- Individual body chemistry
- Body weight
- The severity of the condition being treated
- Concentration or strength of CBD oil
Choosing the Right CBD Oil for Anxiety
Some important factors to consider while choosing CBD oil for anxiety are:
- Ingredients: Choose products that have high-quality and safe ingredients. They should be free from pesticides, mold, and heavy metals.
- Dosage: CBD products should clearly state the CBD dosage and THC content.
- Serving size: Manufacturers should recommend a dosage size and how to consume the same.
- Available certificates: Choose companies that depict transparency and share the certificate of analysis of the given product.
How to Use CBD Oil for Anxiety?
You can use CBD oil for anxiety in the following ways:
- Sublingual consumption: placing the oil under your tongue and absorbing it before swallowing.
- Adding to everyday foods or drinks.
Tips for Using CBD Oil for Anxiety
- Most people prefer taking the full-spectrum CBD oil for anxiety. The full-spectrum range of CBD products by leading brands like WholeLeaf has all the important ingredients available in the Cannabis Sativa plant -including CBD, traces of THC, flavonoids, terpenes, adjunctive cannabinoids, essential oils, and fatty acids. These natural compounds function together to enhance the therapeutic effects of the contents of the plant. This is referred to as the Entourage Effect.
- People can consider taking oral CBD products to get relief from anxiety throughout the day.
- Taking the product with food in the morning may help.
- Vaping CBD oil can also offer instant relaxation.
If you constantly struggle with anxiety and stress, consider taking CBD oil for anxiety relief. CBD is effective, safe, and legal in managing a wide range of anxiety symptoms.